Total Pageviews

Monday, January 2, 2012

2011 Year End Awards

There were many memorable moments in the WWE this year. So, I thought that I would say goodbye to 2011 by giving out a few awards of my own. I hope that you all enjoy reading my blog. Please comment and let me you know what you think about my choices.

 

Worst Story Line of the Year

Winner: The Anonymous General Manager

Runner-Up: Jerry “The King” Lawler vs. Michael Cole

There is not much that I can say about this story line, other than I simply hated it. Why would anyone want to see a computer making matches every week?  Personally, I didn’t enjoy arguing with a computer when I was on RAW. It just made little sense to me. Maybe that is why I tried to break the computer. LOL!

 

Worst Pay Per View of the Year

Winner: Capital Punishment

Runner-Up: Over the Limit

This was one of the newer pay per views for the WWE. It was based in Washington and brought politics and the WWE together. I felt that the pay per view wasted a lot of time focusing on political jokes told by a President Obama impersonator.

As for the matches, John Cena vs. R-Truth was far from an exciting main event. I even expected more from Del Rio vs. Big Show. That match became boring when Del Rio put a knee bar on Show and Show couldn’t finish the match.

The best part of this pay per view was Booker teaching the Obama impersonator a new dance called, “The Barackaroonie.” LOL!

 Hopefully, this pay per view will improve next year.



Feud of the Year

Winner: Christian vs. Orton

Runner-Up: Cena vs. Punk

Christian and Orton really did an outstanding job of developing a feud after Christian lost the World Heavy Weight Championship. It’s hard to make a feud last and keep people’s attention. However, they kept everyone on the edge of their seats as they carried the feud into the summer months. And yes, I am partial so I think Christian deserves, “One More Match.”  


Worst Match of the Year

Winner: Michael Cole vs. Jerry “The King” Lawler

Runner-Up: R-Truth vs. John Cena

Not much to say here except that I think both men are good announcers and should stick to calling the matches.

 

Heel of the Year

Winner: Mark Henry

Runner- Up: Dolph Ziggler

After fifteen long years, Mark Henry made 2011 his year by creating a reign of terror in the WWE. He put many superstars on the shelf by breaking legs and using “The World’s Strongest Slam.” After beating Randy Orton for the World Title, Henry became one of the most hated WWE superstars. That is why he earned, “Heel of the Year” from me. Good Job Mark!

 

Baby Face of the Year

Winner: CM Punk

Runner-Up: The Rock

Punk did an awesome job of telling The WWE Universe exactly how he felt about the way that The WWE was being run.  Punk’s honesty, sarcasm and great sense of humor made him popular with everyone, especially me.



Theme Song

Winner: CM Punk’s Theme Song, “Cult of Personality”

Runner-Up: Zack Ryder’s Theme song, “Radio”

Punk’s theme song truly describes him. He is the one of the best in the world at what he does and full of “personality.”



Female of the Year

Winner: Beth Phoenix

Runner Up: Kharma

Beth has taken a very weak diva’s division and brought it some respectability. She is a gifted athlete and has a lot of wrestling talent. After beating Kelly Kelly for the Diva’s Championship, Beth has shown that that she is not only talented but also, Pin-Up Strong!

 

Headline of the Year

Winner: CM Punk’s Shoot on Raw

Runner-Up: Edge Retires

Punk’s promos on RAW this summer made me want to tune into RAW each week and hear what he had to say. He let all of us know how he felt about the WWE and how it was being run. Even when Punk’s microphone got cut off, he still kept going. What a great promo!

 

Comeback of the Year

Winner: The Rock

Runner-Up: Mark Henry

The WWE Universe is always interested in what the Rock has to say. After a long absence, the Rock showed that he can still wrestle and captivate an audience. Great Comeback Dwayne!



Faction of the Year

Winner: Nexus

Runner-Up: Dolph Ziggler, Vicki Guerrero and Jack Swagger

The Nexus took over the WWE for several months and made the WWE Universe absolutely hate them. That means that they did a great job!  Wade Barrett and C.M. punk did a fantastic job of leading the group and working on this story line.



Catch Phase of the Year

Winner: Boots to Asses

Runner-Up: Pipe Bomb

When the Rock speaks, even Edge listens. LOL! Hearing the fans chant it and with it now on a T-shirt, how could it not be Catch Phrase of the Year? I loved Dwayne’s promo on RAW and like his catchy phrase, “Boots to Asses.” Actually, I find myself using it a lot.LOL!




Break Out Star of the Year

Winner: Zack Ryder

Runner-Up: Dolph Ziggler

Zack elevated himself from The Internet Champion to The United States Champion. I give him a lot of credit for not giving up and showing the WWE that he can be a main headliner. WOO, WOO WOO Zack!




Pay Per View of the Year

Winner: Money in the Bank

Runner-Up: WrestleMania 27

Money in the Bank was by far the most entertaining pay per view of the year. Punk brought the house down when he left the arena with the WWE championship belt after defeating John Cena. Christian winning the World Championship for the second time was another awesome match.  Daniel Bryan and Alberto Del Rio turned themselves into household names after winning the Money in the Bank Ladder matches for Smack Down and Raw.

 

Match of the Year

Winner: Cena vs. Punk at Money in the Bank

Runner-Up: Triple H vs.The Undertaker at WrestleMania 27

Punk winning the WWE Championship, in Chicago, against John Cena, was truly the best match of the year. Punk got the respect that he deserved after winning this match. It was a classic match.


Announcer of the Year

Winner: Jim Ross

Runner-Up: Michael Cole

I have always liked Jim Ross. He is a great guy, and has a wealth of knowledge about wrestling. I love hearing his commentary and feel that he is the voice of the WWE.




Finishing Move of the Year

Winner: CM Punk GTS

Runner-Up: Daniel Bryan: Lebell Lock

GTS for those of you who don’t know means Go to Sleep. I think that Punk’s finishing move is simply one of the best in the business!

 

Tag Team of the Year

Winner: Awesome Truth

Runner-Up: Air Boom

The Miz and R-Truth were an “awesome” tag team combination. I liked both of their personalities and thought that they might be future tag team champions. Unfortunately, they broke up. Maybe one day they will reunite.




Special Moment of the Year

Winner: Shawn Michaels being inducted into The WWE Hall of Fame

Runner-Up: Christian wins The Battle Royal For Chance at World Title.

Shawn is one of my best friends. I am so very proud of him and all that he has accomplished. It was truly a very special moment to see him getting inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame. Shawn deserved this honor and I am glad that I was there to share this moment with him. I talk to him at least once a week and knowing he is in a good place, makes it that much more special.



Outstanding Raw Guest Host

Winner: The Muppets

Runner-Up: Hugh Jackman

Everyone loves the Muppets, including me. They did a great job of guest hosting Monday Night RAW. I couldn’t help but notice that there was a strong resemblance between several of the WWE superstars and some of The Muppets. LOL!

 

Breakout Star of 2012

Winner: Cody Rhodes

Runner: Up- Wade Barrett

Cody Rhodes has made the Intercontinental Championship come alive again. He is very entertaining and continues to get better each week that I watch him. He has great mic skills and I see him getting an even bigger push in 2012.




Most Likely To Become World Champion

Winner: Dolph Ziggler

Runner-Up: Cody Rhodes

Dolph is really so damn talented. He is one of the best heels in the WWE. I liked his work as United States Champion and he also continues to get better after every match. I feel that Dolph has all of the skills needed to become a World Champion.



Hardcore Match of The Year

Winner: The Miz vs. John Cena

Runner-Up: Orton vs. Christian

Did any of you really believe that Cena would give up in his match against the Miz in the “Over the Limit” pay per view? Cena took a lot of punishment but was victorious at the end. This was a long grueling match and it deserved the honor of winning Hardcore Match of the Year.



Superstar of the Year

Winner: CM Punk

Runner-Up: The Rock

I don’t think that my choice should surprise anyone. Punk has done it all this year and is one of the main reasons that people tune into the WWE. His personality and outstanding wrestling skills make him Superstar of the Year. Sorry to disappoint you John Laurinaitis LOL!

 


T.V. Show of the Year

Winner: Monday Night RAW

Runner-Up: Smack Down!

I love both of these shows. However, Monday Night Raw is live and the guest hosts also make it very entertaining.






Moment That Changed WWE of the Year

Winner: Edge Retires

Runner-Up: Christian Wins his First World Championship

This was one of the hardest moments in my career. It was so very difficult to have to tell people that I would no longer be able to wrestle. However, I am glad that I got the opportunity to share my career with each one of you. Thank you guys, for all of your support. It means a lot to me.

I also chose Jay winning the World Championship as a runner up for a special moment in 2011. Jay is my best friend and I was thrilled to share that special moment with him.  



Story Line of the Year

Winner: CM Punk wins World title and Leaves WWE

Runner-Up: The Rock and John Cena will headline WrestleMania 28

It was great to see change come to the WWE.  I loved watching Punk leave the arena in Chicago, with the WWE Championship belt. I enjoyed seeing photos of the belt all over the country, especially in Punk’s refrigerator. This story line was great and showed that Punk also has a good sense of humor.



High Flyer of the Year

Winner: Kofi Kingston

Runner-Up: Evan Bourne

Kofi really became one of the best high flyers in the WWE. He is really exciting to watch and does some amazing moves in the ring. Boom! Boom! Boom! I expect Kofi to do well in singles matches as well as in future tag team matches in 2012.

 

Technician of the Year

Winner: Daniel Bryan

Runner-up: Alberto Del Rio

Daniel Bryan is a great in ring technician. He has shown people that he has talent and can be elevated into main events. I look forward to seeing great things from Daniel this year.




Shocker of the Year

Winner: Daniel Bryan Wins World Title

Runner-Up: Alberto Del Rio cashes in his Money in the Bank Brief Case at Summer Slam

I was shocked when Daniel Bryan cashed in his brief case and pinned The Big Show. I thought that he was going to hold out until WrestleMania 28. For Big Show, it was one of the shortest title reigns in WWE history. Look for a feud between these two men this year.



Oh My Gosh Moment of the Year

Winner: Daniel Bryan wins Money in the Bank

Runner: The Rock returns to Confront John Cena

Wade Barrett, Cody Rhodes and Sheamus were the favorites to win. It seemed that Daniel Bryan was definitely the underdog in this event. However, Daniel surprised everyone, except for himself when he won this event and the briefcase.

ENDING

I want to thank all of you for taking the time to read my blogs and for always supporting me. I also want to wish everyone a very happy and healthy New Year. I am sure that 2012 is going to be a great year for the WWE. As always, I look forward to writing and sharing my thoughts with you.

                    ~ADAM~

3 comments:

  1. Cool ratings. I have my own thoughts on some of them thoiugh. Take care ond God bless. Have a safe new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good blog Adam. I always enjoy reading your thoughts on the business. Definitely agree with a lot of your choices. Even though I was a late comer, it was easy to catch up. Especially with the help of a few good men lol. Anyways, thank you for your years of entertaining us fans. You are missed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your blog.You are very funny. I agree with all of your choices. I am also happy that gave yourself an award. It was well deserved.

    ReplyDelete